Thrift shopping is a great way to find quality and unique one of a kind pieces at an affordable price! Finding preloved treasures is not only eco-friendly, but it’s also easy on your wallet.
To help you get the most out of your next thrift-shopping trip, here are 7 tips that will have you thrifting like a champ!
- Become a frequent shopper! Thrift stores, like the ReStore, are constantly receiving new donations which means that their inventory is also changing on a daily basis. Make stopping by your favourite thrift stores a regular occurrence so you don’t miss out on one-of-a-kind items for a steal of a deal!
- Dig! Don’t be afraid to get your hands a little dirty. Investigate every nook and cranny. Sometimes the best items are hiding at the bottom of a bin or hidden behind a stack of items.
- Make a list! Sometimes when you’re thrift shopping it can take a while to find what you are looking for. Put together a list of items and dimension requirements so you can remember your must-haves!
- Get creative! Sometimes you find a piece that has spectacular bones to it, like a hutch with incredible wood working detail but has some nicks and paint chips. Don’t let these little imperfections scare you away. With some time, elbow grease, a new coat of paint or wood staining, the hutch could be transformed into a breathtaking piece.
- Learn what you can and can’t fix. While it’s important to get creative and reimagine how you can repurpose items, it’s also important to know your DIY limits. Staining a wood table or spray painting knobs might be more your speed than reupholstering a large couch.
- Make new friends. Once you’ve found a thrift store that fits your style and budget, it pays to be friendly to the staff. Not only can they help you while you’re shopping, but they can also let you know when new product is coming in and will sometimes event put aside pieces that they know you will love.
- Social media. Don’t have time to become a frequent shopper? Don’t worry! Many stores now have social media channels that are dedicated to sharing new in store products. Sit back and follow your favourite thrift stores from the comfort of your home. But be prepared to either call to hold items by or rushing down to the store to grab the item before it’s gone!
Becoming an avid thrift shopper and seeing the potential of pieces can take some time. But once you start stepping into the stores on a regular basis and letting your creative mind flow, you will be surprised with the items you find and how much money you save!